Friday, December 6, 2013

Book Review - Christmas is Coming

Hi everyone:

I promised I'd tell you about the other Christmas/holiday/seasonal book that I added to my library this year. Here it is: Christmas is Coming: Appliqué Quilt Patterns to Celebrate the Season by Cheryl Almgren Taylor


While I didn't actually meet Cheryl at International Quilt Market, I did see her signing copies of this book at the Martingale booth. I've always been a fan of Cheryl's designs and find her style instantly recognizable. I don't know how she does it, but Cheryl makes even holly and Christmas ornaments her own.
Christmas is Coming by Cheryl Almgren Taylor
Photo courtesy of Martingale
There are 13 projects in the book and it is divided into 3 sections: Home for the Holidays, Celebrate the Season and Rejoice and Be Glad! The projects in the book are for fusible web appliqué, so the designs are already reversed for you. Cheryl includes basic quilt making instructions for piecing, fusible web appliqué and foundation piecing. Christmas is Coming includes a variety of designs great for gift giving from quick table runners to more elaborate wall hangings and even a bed runner, if you don't have time to create an entire quilt.
Welcome Wall Hanging from Christmas is Coming
The Welcome Wall Hanging reminds of Christmas Eve service with its traditional church appliqué and the snow-covered fir trees. 
Christmas Bouquet Wall Hanging from Christmas is Coming
For something which would take a little more time to create, but would be treasured forever, Cheryl has included the Christmas Bouquet Wall Hanging. At 36 ½" square, it would also be lovely as a table topper. I think I would add some hot-fix crystals to this project for some holiday bling.
Home for Christmas Bed Runner from Christmas is Coming
If you want to add some holiday cheer to your bedroom, the Home for Christmas Bed Runner is perfect. You could change the fabric on one of these houses to mimic your own home. 
Christmas Pageant Wall Hanging from Christmas is Coming
I love the touch of whimsy in the Christmas Pageant Wall Hanging! As Cheryl describes it, "This small wall hanging brings back memories of holiday plays at school and Christmas pageants at church." You could use fabric from your children's clothing or even your own to personalize this delightful project. 

I added Christmas is Coming to my quilting library as I liked the variety of designs and the "traditional" feel of the book, and of course, fusible web appliqué is my favourite technique!

Do you have holiday or Christmas quilting books in your library? Leave me a comment to tell me which book is your favourite.


No comments: